MMA legend Bas Rutten gives exclusive interview for our site! Read here what Bas told us about Kimbo and Ken fight, favourite MMA fighter, submissions and of course about Smealinho Rama.
Bas Rutten is a Dutch retired mixed martial artist, Karate and Taekwondo blackbelt, and Muay Thai kickboxer. He was a UFC Heavyweight Champion, a three-time King of Pancrase world champion, and finished his career on a 22 fight unbeaten streak (21 wins, 1 draw). Fight Matrix lists Rutten as the third MMA heavyweight lineal champion with the second longest reign in MMA history. FightMextrix also wrote this when Rutten got inducted into the UFC Hall Of Fame: FightMetric, the official statistics provider for the UFC, ran the numbers on Rutten’s career… (Wikipedia)
Questions about MMA
1. How is possible that Kimbo Slice survived that choke against submission master Ken Shamrock few months ago?
Ken didn’t lock the free hand behind the head from his opponent so Kimbo could peel it off
2. What do you think about Fedor Emelianenko’s comeback to the cage?
I am looking forward to it, always been one of my favorites! If he is totally healed up, I expect him to do very well
3. Who’s your favourite MMA fighter today?
Very hard question, I like so many. TJ Dillashaw, McGregor, Aldo, Rousey, Jones, man, I can go on and on
4. For you, what is the most amazing submission you’ve ever seen in the MMA – beside your Body Crunch against Shibuya?
I liked Diaz’s gogoplata against Gomi, Werdum’s triangle on Fedor, Jeff Rexroad did a “rexangle” at Legacy FC, I liked that submission
Questions about Smealinho Rama
5. Did you expect Rama’s loss against Ivanov?
6. In your opinion which are the biggest Rama’s flaws in octagon? Where is the room for improvement?
Maybe a little bit in and out faster? With the focus on OUT. But for the rest I think he’s a really fast heavyweight, great footwork, great speed, won fights by submission and KO.
7. Do you see Rama as a LHW in the future?
That’s up to him, he can do it if he wants but right now does great at HW. At LHW he will even have more speed I think? So wherever he feels good at, that weight he should fight at.
8. Where do you see Rama in 5 years?
He will be big, just keep going and training and he will be considered top 5 from all of MMA in his weight class. I hope he does it, really like him as a fighter and person!